How can I find a financial advisor for my elderly parent in my local area?


The "key" research you need to do is be sure is that the advisor is qualified to practice and has no outstanding violations against them.

I would recommend searching the following websites: Certified Financial Planning Board of Standards ( and The Financial Planning Association ( for a qualified planner in the parent's local area.

The second criterion to search is a "fee-only" financial advisor. This type of advisor works directly for the client and is compensated either by fees charged for assets under management or on an hourly basis and are not compensated by commissions or trailers on products sold. This also helps to prevent a conflict of interest between the advisor and the client.

Do not confuse this with the term "fee-based" which is a combination of fees plus commissions.

You can check the website for the National Association of Professional Financial Advisors at for a fee-only planner.

Rosanne Rogé joined R.W. Rogé & Company, Inc. in January 1995. She is a graduate of C.W. Post - Long Island University. Ms. Rogé is certified by The Certified Financial Planners Board of Standards to use the professional certifications CFP and Certified Financial Planner. She is also a Certified Senior Advisor (CSA).

R.W. Rogé & Company

View full profile

You May Also Like

Free AgingCare Guides

Get the latest care advice and articles delivered to your inbox!