Follow

I was not sure if this is allowed, but I have my dogs, which keep my going a lot. Two are my ESA (legitimate ESA, I have been seen by a psychiatrist and have multiple mental health issues). Sky is my young little pup at 2 years old and a Chihuahua. She helps by licking my face and stopping my negative stimming behavior. Pepita is a Chihuahua/Pin mix and is about 8. She helps when I have anxiety attacks and have seizures (non-medical, just psychological) by sitting on my chest helping to control my breathing. Babygirl is a Japanese Chin and was Mark's birthday present and is 4, and she is there for love and to be a pet. She was a show dog and is beautiful and funny and loves to play. Those girls help keep me sane and they are bonding a lot with my mom who is up here helping me get things in order, especially Sky and Babygirl.

I have been taking Sky on walks, but really need a harness for her and maybe Pepita. Pepita has luxating patella which really only makes her walk bowlegged (can you believe the animal shelter wanted to put her down!)

Find Care & Housing
I had a feeling that you were going to say that, DG. You are so passionate and loving towards animals and their wellbeing.

The world needs more people like you!

I cry too when I hear the opening song for the commercial.
(0)

No, I cannot watch those commercials. I hear opening bars of "Arms of the Angels" and I began crying my eyes out because of those commercials. I wish I could say that the neglect shown is unusual, but it is not. I have rescued puppy mill dogs and seen many dogs in shelters with similar conditions, although chaining dogs is illegal in TX, thank goodness. Animals don't ask for much: love, shelter, and food. That's it really. I don't think it takes a lot to be a responsible owner get them fixed and keep them up to date on shots and feed them decent food (not the most high priced, just not bottom of the barrel).
(1)

Absolutely!!
(1)

Nacy,

That’s a good description of how they come across. It’s shocking and disturbing.

I feel like they are trying to make people feel so badly that they will feel guilty if they don’t donate. That’s not the best way to motivate people to donate money.

I think it would be more beneficial for the animals if they showed successful adoptions and dogs that are healing from their trauma.

Penalties should always be enforced for animal abuse. Remember the football player who was involved with dog fighting? That is disgusting. He got caught and was punished for his behavior.
(0)

Yes Needs, that is what I think I'm trying to express, those commercials don't do any good.

There is so much abuse and neglect at a lower level, and they should educate on that.

The asap commercial are for shock to get money, not for actually help for the everyday abuse.
(1)

Nacy,

I am certainly aware that people do horrific things to animals.

I am so disturbed by seeing dogs shivering in the cold, abused and neglected. I can’t bear to look at those commercials. So, I find them to be a bit counterproductive.

You’re absolutely, all they want is to be valued and loved by human beings.

My daughter adopted an adorable five year old toy poodle that had been abused. He definitely had trust issues and who could blame him.

For some reason he immediately took to her at the shelter. The shelter employee was awful! She told my daughter, “Oh, you don’t want him. He’s mean and tries to bite me.”

Dogs know who they like and don’t like! He loved my daughter and knew that she was his momma.

My daughter loved him and provided a wonderful home for him. He died at age 13. He had Cushing’s disease towards the end of his life and wasn’t responding well to his meds.

I realize that not everyone is an animal person but there is no excuse for abuse.

I can’t fathom how anyone could harm an innocent animal.
(1)

I can also say it's the degree of the abuse on the commercial. Any person that has an inch of compassion can look at those commercials and think omg that's horrible.

I think more education on the little everyday smaller abuses and neglect,would be better. Get to the people that are more on the fence about animal treatment. The farmers ,who have barn cats, the people that get a dog but do not have the time or effort to properly train them , give them love.

My neighbor had a pug, 2 kids was never ever home, then during the pandemic got a large pit bull. Recently had to move to her parents because the house foreclosed. The dogs are now at her parents, being left all the time, her parents don't want them, and the mom has MS and shouldn't be around a large untrained dog.

Those are the people that need to be reached
(1)

Needs, I am a person that never abused animals of course, but I never really was a companionate person towards them . I mean if course I felt bad seeing the commercial but I didn't have the feelings others had towards animals. I'm a very empathetic person towards people though.

So now the last ten years or so I've changed for the better, as far as my love , understanding and sympathy for peoples beloved pets.

I think it is because of education, watching are cats, friends and family's dogs, Watching Instagram.
I honestly can say I never realized how unbelievably smart and caring and sweet all animals can be. About 4 years ago I pretty much got my first cat. As far as a kitten, I wanted I picked out and was my idea. That also has helped my empathy alot. I am amazed every day at the intelligence of animals.

Id say education is a key and breaking the cycle of what we were taught. That pets are there to keep mice away, or make you happy when they are happy to see you, they are not a toy that you can just put away if your not in the mood.

How to get the education out I'm not sure. I know me and my cats enjoy watching cat videos on Instagram
(1)

DoggieMom,

Do you watch the commercials for abused dogs and they are asking for donations?

I simply can’t watch them. Those commercials are heartbreaking for me to watch.

Also, may I ask what you feed your pups? My daughter has a Siberian husky. She tried the higher priced food. He won’t eat them. He only eats Purina One. The vet said that it was a good choice for him. I keep Purina One at my house for him too.

I wonder if there is a better way to address the horrific reality of abuse in animals. What do you think?
(0)

I love most all animals, except for snakes lol. I enjoy taking care of them as it gives me routine and they give me love. I like cats a lot to. My mom and I are the only cat people in our family, but that's okay. Most of my family loves dogs though. My brother has OCD really bad which doesn't let him really have animals, he worries too much about the home being clean, fur, etc. He still loves animals, though.
(1)

That's so sweet doggiemom, you mentioned getting tested for autism. I've heard there is a correlation between animals and autism.

My step son, that lives with us, undiagnosed but very obvious some form of autism, doesn't like dogs, and I worry if we weren't home that he would take good care of them. But cats he loves and they love him.

Just interesting anyways
(0)

Fantastic news!

Some dogs do well in crates. Others don’t. I’m glad yours are responding well with the training.
(0)

I posted a video on Facebook of my progress. Sky and Pepita both willingly get in the crates and actually beg for training time (they know treats are coming!) They are very quiet especially after given a little doggie CBD oil. They are doing really well and being super lovey. They sleep at night with me and I haven't been able to walk them lately because it's been rain, rain, and more rain! Babygirl is doing well to. I give her treats as well because she's such a sweetie and a good girl lol.
(1)

I do love Scotties! My aunt had a dog when I was young a Cairn/Scottie mix. That dog was nuts and barked at the fridge each time it turned on and chased down bees! LOL they are fearless little guys! I gave my doggies some CBD oil to help with anxiety and it gave my youngest girl, Sky the munchies. It was funny really as she REALLY was happy with her doggie peanut butter :). That is an interesting story about the daycare and I have heard of Camp Bow Wow. I might look into doggie daycare in the future, but right now my mom will be home most of the day anyway so she's fine with dog sitting while I work (and they keep her company!). I need to get off my butt and walk dogs in the nice fall and spring months so yeah.
(1)

Send,

It’s sad that your aunt wasn’t able to recognize her old home.

You know, it’s interesting how people feel about visiting old homes, regardless of having dementia or not.

Some people like to reminisce and others don’t. I occasionally will drive by my grandparents old home. I can’t drive by my childhood home because it was destroyed in hurricane Katrina. A new home has been built there now.

I know that grandma and grandpa are dead and don’t live there anymore but I have such happy memories of my childhood in that home that I enjoy seeing it once in a while.

One time I saw an older woman standing outside with a young child, her grandchild. She saw me slowing my car down to look at her home and looked puzzled. I rolled down the window and told her that she was living in grandparents old home and it held wonderful memories for me.

This sweet woman told me to come by anytime that I wanted to visit my grandparents old house. Then she said that she has always felt safe and happy in the home.

My grandpa always had dogs. The dog I knew was a boxer named Lucky. I loved playing with Lucky.

Mom said one time he had a black lab that he named, Snow! Hahaha 😝, grandpa had a cute sense of humor.

Oh, I love my daughter’s husky. He is a sweetheart. My childhood dog was a sweet Boston terrier. She was precious.

God bless the beasts and the children. Yes, the elderly too, and those who are lonely in this world.

All they want is to be loved.
(0)

NHWM,
So very long ago, I went to visit my Aunt in her AL home. 6 people were living there, with 24 hr. nursing care/living in.

Your dog story reminded me.
I had not seen my aunt for about 20 years at the time.
I walked in, as the residents were seated at lunch around a big round table.
I felt that I would not recognize my aunt, it took me awhile. No one introduced us. Then, I saw her and had to ask, are you my aunt?

Whether dogs in day care, or elders - we just do not recognize them, especially if they are so very friendly and want to go with us. (I took my aunt to her old home, and she did not recognize it). Had I known not to do this, she would not have been confused.

What wonderful dogs Husky's are! Yours (your daughter's dog) is the best!
(1)

OncehatedDIL,

I bet doggy daycare workers have tons of stories to tell. I love labs! You’re right. Dogs are so smart and very entertaining!

My brother had a lab that was a thief! 😁.

She was an escape artist and would take anything outside on the neighbor’s porch and open garages. The neighbor loved his lab and didn’t get upset about her visiting them, except for one time.

The dog stole her baby’s favorite blanket! The baby was crying and she looked everywhere for the blanket.

Then the young mom thought to knock on my brother’s door because she knew the dog must have taken it.

Yep, the dog stole it. My brother apologized profusely and gave the blanket back to her.
(1)

Missy,

I had a stubborn little schnauzer years ago. Oh my word, we did training classes when she was a puppy, then we worked with a private dog trainer.

Didn’t matter! She had a mind of her own. She wasn’t fond of my husband at all! 😝

I loved her to pieces. She was charming and challenging and lived to be 13.

After she died, we rescued a greyhound. He stole my heart with his gentle personality.
(1)

I have a 10 month old Scottie named Archie. Love him to pieces even though he's a stubborn little maniac. Everyone loves to see a Scottie! I feel like I'm with a celebrity wherever I take him. My mom likes seeing him, and I take him to the memory care every couple of weeks for a visit. The residents love seeing him, too. He's my little superstar :)
(2)

What a great story! Years ago when we fostered Labs, there was a Yellow with an arthritic limp that required Rimadyl to control. He was such an unusually good dog, while he was here, he would even organize the play for the other Labs. An older couple turned him down as they didn't want the expense of the medication. A younger woman wanted badly to adopt him even with the cost of the medication. She worked full-time which meant he was going to be in doggy daycare. We thought they were a wonderful match as he really enjoyed playing with the other dogs.

He was such a hit at his doggy daycare that she was offered free daycare - which cost much more than his med. We weren't surprised, the way he would organize the other dogs play was really something to see. He wasn't herding, he was introducing games and getting the other dogs involved.

@NeedHelpWithMom - we had such a good laugh over your daycare pick up story this morning. That other husky knew what he was doing, he wanted a bit of a home visit.
(1)

I have a dog story.

My daughter had a doctor appointment today and she put her dog in doggy daycare for the day (Camp Bow Wow) which is a wonderful place. They schedule activities for the dogs and he always has fun when he goes there.

Anyway, when she picked him up after her doctor appointment, they gave her Mother’s Day art that he made! 😆

She is going to send me pictures of what he made.

One thing that she likes about Camp Bow Wow is that they have cameras and you can look at them throughout the day.

A while back she took him somewhere else before she tried Camp Bow Wow and they didn’t have cameras. Plus, when my husband picked him up they gave him the wrong dog! It was awful.

The dog looked amazingly similar to our daughter’s dog, even acted like her dog. The dog ran into our house and gave me kisses, went straight to the dog toys that I have and went into the kitchen and ate the dog food!

When our daughter came by to pick up her dog, she screamed, “Dad! This isn’t my dog!” We were shocked! She looked at the tags. Sure enough it wasn’t her dog!

She and my husband jumped in the car to go to the doggy daycare and thankfully her dog was there.

Here’s another odd thing. My daughter called the other Husky owner to let her know that she had her dog and was returning him.

The woman was here on vacation. She lived several states away and didn’t seem concerned at all. She casually said, “Oh, okay. Thanks.” My daughter was upset that her dog could have been given to the other woman.

The daycare acted like it wasn’t a big deal and didn’t offer a sincere apology.

My daughter said that she would never use their services again. I don’t blame her. They should check dog tags before releasing the dogs to anyone. Siberian huskies are so friendly and will go off with anyone.
(1)

Meds will help. My daughter rescued a beautiful Siberian Husky. Her vet gave her meds to help him adjust with separation anxiety when she had to leave for work.

She works remotely now and he is happy as can be. She has meds for him as a backup plan if needed.
(0)

I feel they are doing really well. They have begun going to the travel crates on their own as they associate them with treats (ha ha). I have been leaving them in for longer periods about 7 minutes maximum so far while I watch TV and them at my feet. Sky whines a bit, so I am going to ask the vet about meds. Our yard has been growing like crazy because all of the rain and we got it mowed so they are finally happy to venture out now lol.
(1)

Doggiemom,

How are your pups doing?
(0)

OnceHatedDil, that's interesting as the only dogs allowed out of carriers are service dogs. My two dogs could be service dogs as they alert me when I am having an anxiety attack and one lays on my chest to give pressure therapy, but I would need them certified through an organization and I haven't had that done. Some places are more lax on dogs than others. Sky is 7 lbs and she is fearless. She believes she is a Doberman! LOL. When I first went to meet her she was at a dog park (mind you, she was six months and much smaller) chasing two big German Shepherds. Yep, she's fearless! Pepita has Min Pin in her, so she takes no guff either, but is 9 so is more mellow than Sky.
(1)

Especially when they have back up - my friend's rat terrier loved it when my friend took care of our big chocolate Lab. The rattie loved telling other dogs when they were "wrong", a Miss Manners of dogs. The chocolate was a protector sort and on their walks the little rat terrier's chest puffed way up and she barked "Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!" at any dog being walked and breaking her strict rules for proper leash behavior. On walks without the chocolate, she just did little huffs under her breath.
(1)

The tiny dogs are the sassiest ones. Once we saw a chihuahua barking at a horse on Mardi Gras day.

As the horse was prancing down St. Charles Avenue in the parade, a yippy yappy chihuahua started barking at him.
(2)

We saw two people walking either large French bulldogs or small bulldogs with ESA vests in the airport on leash without a carrier in sight. I wondered if the dogs had been able to sit at their feet or if they had to buy seats for the dogs?
(0)

Yes they are both registered ESA
(0)

Doggie,

Have you registered your dogs as emotional support dogs? If so, check the airline rules.

I know that you can’t be turned away by a landlord if you have registered them as emotional support animals.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter