Follow

My ML is in memory care and her funds will run out soon. My deceased FIL was a veteran during the Korean War. She has never received any benefits from the VA. My DH is the only child and is dreading the decision to place his mom in SNF. Will the VA provide any financial help with sharing the cost to keep her in the MCF or will we have to spend down the rest of her funds to qualify for Medicaid, then move her to a SNF. I know that it may seem early to speak on this since everything is in GOD's hands, but I am usually proactive in handling things and don't like waiting until the last minute to make decisions that are so important. Does anyone know anything about this or was your situation similar. I need to know how all of this movement will with Medicaid and the transfer.

A & A will not cover the cost monthly but may make it possible for to payva little longer.

In my State if you pay at least 2 yrs in an AL or Memory care and the facility excepts Medicaid you maybe able to have Medicaid pay for care. You should talk to a Medicaid caseworker and see what they provide.
(0)

You'd have to apply for Aid and Attendance benefits from the VA office in your city if your FIL was in active service during wartime. My dad was, received the A & A benefits for the married couple, then after he died, I had to reapply for mom to get the survivor benefits to help pay for AL and then Memory Care Assisted Living. She was getting around $1450 A Month up until 2022 when she died.

You'll need a marriage license, FILs honorable discharge papers....a bunch of things. The VA service officer helped me tremendously and dad was paid retroactively once approved. It only took about 2 months here in Colorado. I spoke with an elder care attorney for guidance.

Best of luck to you.
(1)

There is a cap on the money that is given to veterans and their spouses.

Memory care facilities are expensive so I doubt that you would receive the entire amount.

There are facilities that are available for veterans and their spouses. I don’t know if any of them provide a memory care unit.

I would call them to see what help might be available for you.

Wishing you all the best.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter