Follow
Read More
1 2 3 4 5
Just bought a Twin size cover to decorate my queen size bed.
(1)

Oh I've always wanted a hand made quilt, just never wanted to spend that kind of money on one. The work that goes into it, they absolutely deserve that money.

I've seen them hung. I think a home with high ceilings , or in an entrance way , where you have 2 stories , near a nice staircase. Would look nice.
(1)

Eva,

I love transitional pieces too. They are tasteful and versatile. I prefer a collection of pieces, rather than a contrived look.

It’s more interesting to have a blending of styles. I especially like combining old pieces with newer ones.
(1)

I saw a beautiful handmade quilt at an antique shop. It isn’t large enough for my king sized bed.

I have fallen in love with it, and considering purchasing it. I thought about hanging it on my bedroom wall, but not sure of the best way to do this.

Have any of you hung a quilt on the wall? If so, please share what you did.

Thanks!
(1)

Vegemite is now providing the umani to 'flavour balance our meals', due to my DH watching TV cooking shows. All good. But I'm also good with my plain old spag bol & my vegemite on my toast 😁
(3)

NHWM,
I love decorating and interior design.
Put that show you mentioned on my list.
No money does not buy taste, sometimes displaying wealth creates opposite effect.
Like some gold toilets and so on.
I am kind of minimalistic or between comfort and modern, which is transitional style.
(2)

Margaret,
Your husband is like mine, he thinks as well I am good cook and beautiful.
Nothing wrong with vegemite, it is full of nutrients.
(4)

Margaret,

I had to look up Vegemite. Interesting product!
(2)

Margaret: I hear you! DH is always saying "We'll do it tomorrow." Hello! You mean to say that "I'll do it tomorrow." I don't put it off, though.
(3)

Eva, you must be a decade younger than me. Most men of my vintage who re-incarnated themselves as chefs, used every utensil in the kitchen and never learned to wash up.

My Tony will live for days on toast and vegemite if I am away. Minimal washing up when I get back, because he wipes the crumbs off and reuses every plate and mug. He thinks I am a wonderful cook, as well as being beautiful, and he is a genuinely nice man. Like I said, quit when you're ahead!
(4)

Eva,

You have been busy!

Prepping for a move is a lot of work. Moving is work too.

It’s a good time to get rid of things that aren’t absolutely essential.

I find that the older I get, the less I want. I hate clutter.

I have always been fascinated with architecture and interior design.

I watched the series Million Dollar Decorators on Netflix.

It’s amazing to see how the super wealthy furnish their homes. It boggles my mind!

It’s also interesting to see that money cannot buy taste! 😁 One of the clients was a woman who married into the Max Factor family. Super rich family!

So, she said that she had an MBA and a law degree but didn’t know how to shop or decorate. She hires an interior designer, but wouldn’t allow her to do her job!

She was practically a hoarder. She bought pieces from all over the world.

She had a spare room in her house filled with art and furniture that she didn’t know what to do with.

She also had three storage units filled with more stuff. The interior designer had a really difficult time working with her.

Oh, one person on the show had a $30 million dollar home in La Jolla, CA. They spent $3 million just on the furniture. Must be fun! Huh?

One of the designers does work for Elton John, Cher, Sharon Osborne, etc. He said that he loved shopping with other people’s money! 😝
(2)

Margaret,
That retirement advice or whoever wrote it did not get a memo that it is 21st century!
Actually one couple retired now and husband took over almost all the cooking and cleaning!
(2)

Come now, husbands can often do things wives can’t do at all! Like replace a broken lock, which I had to beg a friend’s elderly husband to help with, because mine is down south selling the farm. The issue is the fair division of labor, which changes after DH retires.

The ‘retirement’ advice I’ve read rarely talks about how to divide the tasks differently. It usually assumes that DH needs to find new interests (or just 'enjoy leisure', avoid over-eating, and get some exercise), while W does all the usual work to keep running the household. Perhaps DH 'helps', but that's not dividing responsibilities for keeping daily life functioning. It's something that W is supposed to be grateful for, every time. That’s not fair when you are both getting old!
(2)

NHWM,
Yes.
In the last month I cleaned, decluttered and in general prepared our house for sale.
Sold it, finalized purchase and legalities of new condo.
Then need to sell, donate most of our furniture.
Fun will be buying new, except checking on line some won’t be ready till late August. I guess we will use patio furniture for a while as we are moving in mid July.
(1)

Eva,

We can do things much faster than our husbands!
(0)

That reminds me of the way my BIL cooks, although he does all the cooking it still takes him forever to do the simplest tasks, meals I used to consider easy last minute things to throw together like spaghetti or chili are hours long productions. Although to be fair I learned to shortcut almost all my meal prep because of sports and extra curriculars.
(2)

Funny about husbands.
Mine is the cleanest man ever, he would clean everything!
But cooking with him, forget it, he would measure everything forever.
It would take hours what takes half an hour for me.
Maybe I will buy him air fryer and good recipe book, I think I found one with 150 recipes.
He took cooking course once and I am still waiting for that meal.
(4)

They have not found the water leak , so the town is on a server water restrictions. So I'm reading a book. Nothing else to do
(1)

It is interesting to go shopping with our husbands or friends. We all have our own individual preferences.

When my MIL was sick I took my husband’s grandmother shopping. She was not fun to go shopping with at all.

If I showed her sensible shoes she would say, “I am not wearing those shoes! They are for old ladies!”

Mind you, she was in her 80’s and really needed a walker but was too vain to use one.

So, she would buy heels and nearly kill herself trying not to fall.
(1)

Nacy,

Hahaha, throwing clothes away is one way of him not wearing them again.
(1)

Lol, some men prefer there partner buys their cloths.

I don't either, the one thing I do do is if he has a shirt that is looking really shabby I put them on the bottom of his shorts and if he never misses it , I throw it away. 😆
(2)

Margaret,

I understand if a person has a legitimate reason to do so. The woman that I worked with did everything for her husband. He was lazy and didn’t want to do anything at all.
(1)

I buy all my own husband’s clothes, because he has no color sense at all. When I met him, his idea of art was gypsy ladies on black velvet, bought from door-to-door salesmen. He has highly developed ‘kinesthetic’ abilities, very few visual instincts. Typical engineer? Certainly not lazy.

He thinks I'm beautiful! For me it’s ‘quit when you’re ahead’.
(4)

Nacy,

Yes, they operate more slowly than we do!

If I ask my husband to help me in the kitchen, he takes twice as long as I do. I run circles around him because he takes his sweet time! At least, it does get done correctly though.

Oh, and don’t get me started on loading the dishwasher. That’s another area where we differ!

He has everything lined up a specific way. Ask me if I care which way my dishes are facing? 😝 LOL, as long as they get clean, I really don’t care!

He’s very neat though. I can’t say that he is a man who lives like a slob and expects me to pick up after him.

He does his own shopping. I worked with a woman who bought all of her husband’s clothes! I don’t get that at all!

I am so thankful to my mother in law for raising her sons to be independent. He can cook, he helps out and the opposite of how his dad was. His dad’s mother spoiled him by waiting on him hand and foot.

My mother in law said that she had to deprogram my father in law, because she wasn’t going to become like her mother in law.
(2)

That's good needs!! As for hanging painting oh my it's a project here. Lol
Me I pick I spot and bang the nail. It's like an hour project with my husband

Yes my husbands awesome heard worker, that's why I do the painting, so he can do the heavy lifting. Finishing projects well that takes time and some convincing at times 😆

So are road work was done Friday in front of my house, now we get a call we can't use or drink are water because there is a huge leak somewheres. So I bet I'll be waking up to more trucks, beeps and banging. 😂
(2)

It has been raining here. My bell peppers are getting a good drink of water!

My husband is a great handyman in a lot of areas. He paints very well. He’s an engineer and is quite anal! When he does a job, it is completed, and done perfectly!

I never hang any pictures on the wall because he would have a fit! He gets out the tape measure and level tool and hangs it exactly as it should be. I would just eyeball it! Hahaha 😝.
(1)

Another heads up:
Do what the men do when it comes to painting, or any chores.
My dH has perfected the following techniques to avoid working:

Leave the job site to go get the right tool, then do not return.

Mess up something, or break it to prove he cannot do the job.

Excuse himself, sorry, he has to take this call.

Be back later, (or not at all) gotta go to the bathroom.

Start another project and do not complete the job at hand, do not finish either project.
(5)

To of of us girls out there, a heads up . If your husband doesn't know you know how to paint. Keep it to yourself. 😁

My husband figured it out 5 years ago, I think I have a paint brush glued to my hand sence.
(1)

Golden,

Yes it's the noise! Constant banging and clanging,and beeping, and vibrating. It feels like Chinese water torcher. They should be farther down the road next week.

Blickbob,
I'm sure it's hard, you grandma was just ready. And it sounds like she lived a health good life, you sound like your handling things as well as to be expected.
(2)

So I got the death certificate for my grandmother.

She died of congestive heart failure.

On a few occasions, she felt chest pain and was taken to the hospital to be examined and each time, nothing was found. The local hospital isn't always on its A-game, but it doesn't matter now. We've said goodbye and she's resting easy now.
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter