Follow
Read More
The answer to "I am not going into care" is a gentle "And I am not going to continue to support you in denying what you clearly need. I am no longer going to enable you. I won't be participating in your care any more".

I don't see what other choice you have unless you intend to just continue to do what you know isn't working for your own life.
(6)

She has every right to be hesitant about a nursing home.
(0)

Many states have assistance programs that mirror what one can get in the nursing home without the cost of a nursing home.
(0)

So mom is better off dying alone at home, after perhaps falling and lying on the floor alone for days?
(5)

See if her state has programs that can help people where they live.
(0)

Good for mom stating not going to nursing home. Good for her!!
(0)

What I've learned is....when the pain gets bad enough, they take the pills! Tramadol is the least of the narcotic pain killers to worry about.

When dad was in rehab and in no condition to leave, they would not release him to live independently. I had to get him into AL or leave him there in their Long Term Care section!
(1)

Thank you! What I've learned, though, is social workers can make a recommendation for care, but they can't force someone who's making their own decisions to abide by it. And she hasn't been willing to take pain meds before, because she's worried about her kidney function (really).
(1)

When she tells you she is not going into a nursing home, ask her what her plan is then because it is not you.
(13)

Why do folks waste all kinds of money paying for Long Term Care insurance who have no intention of ever using it, I wonder? Then expect their children to drop what they're doing to rescue them from their myriad messes?

At some point, mother will not be released back to live on her own again. It may be this time, actually. That's when the "I'm not going to a nursing home" statement becomes meaningless as the choice is removed.

And if a Tramadol cured her pain, it's not too bad to begin with. See about getting her a prescription.

Best of luck with a very difficult situation, my heart goes out to you.
(6)

It really irks me how these elders think of no one else but themselves. The only thing you can do...is to not do for her...she is not independent she is living in a fantasy world. Don't be her crutch.

Sending support your way!
(6)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter