Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Need, I’m not much of a gardener. I am placing a row of impatiens in front of hostas on the shaded front of our house. Snapdragons. Marigolds. And I saved seeds from last year’s morning glories for hanging baskets and a pot with a trellis. Most of my garden is perennials - bleeding hearts, lilies, peonies, irises, sedum, allium and columbine. To eat - tomatoes, onions, rhubarb, parsley, oregano, chives, basil and cilantro.

I am fortunate that the farmers across the road grow more veg than they can use, so they share with us in exchange for tech support and pet sitting.
(2)

Rice and broccoli, sausage peppers and onions 😋
(1)

Always good to know. I took care of a lady for a bit that was on a very restricted salt diet.

Me not realizing soy sauce is so high in sodium and man she loved her soy sauce, on everything.
(2)

Anyone with issues with sodium wouldn’t be able to eat soup made with pickles. Pickles are very high in sodium.

Unfortunately, I am extremely sensitive to sodium. It spikes my blood pressure. I don’t use a lot of salt in cooking.

I love pickles but don’t eat them very often because of my blood pressure.

When I was young, I had low blood pressure. It changed when I got older.
(2)

Ana,

What are you planting? I have bell peppers growing.

Your pork sounds delicious! My husband does a great job with grilling.
(1)

Nothing like a good old hot dog with souerkraut and mac salad for a side.
(5)

Everyone else food always sounds better. 😂 Human nature im sure
(4)

I’m going to BBQ pork tenderloin and bell peppers (which we’ll dip in tzatziki) with a salad of red onions, cucumbers and tomatoes with feta and oregano dressing. Maybe make rice or garlic bread too. And I have cookie dough ready to bake. (ordinary weekend here - not a holiday)

Right now the pool is full of our youngest’s pals.

Back to planting and weeding!
(5)

Okay now we need a recipe ITRR!
(2)

Isthisreal, my husband loves pickle juice. He always drinks it and leaves the pickles. I've never heard of picked soup. Sounds interesting anyways
(0)

We had the best surprise with food in a long time.

Pickle soup! It is so delicious and will be a regular on the menu, especially during the heat, pickle juice is a great hydrator and stops muscle cramps, tasty and beneficial, win-win!

Nacy, chicken is so good cooked that way. I like it with a strong, dark ale.

Seriously, anyone that likes dill should give this soup a try.
(2)

Cooking a beer can chicken on the grill a little later. Best way to cook a whole chicken. Think I'm going to have to go to are local store and get a bigger can of beer

Did a bunch of land scaping now I'm in my hammock. When I have the energy to get out of the hammock I'll run to the store

😱 5 $ a month for rent ,wow
(1)

Anyone grilling on this holiday weekend? My hubby makes wonderful bbq. I will do sides and he grills.

Nacy,

Well, next visit out here you can enter his name.

I spend so much time on genealogy. It’s fascinating to read the stories that unfold.

It’s crazy how low prices were in the past in comparison to today. I found out from census records that my parents only paid $5 a month for rent when they first married!

$5 certainly doesn’t go very far today. We can’t even buy a burger with it!

Last burger that I bought at a restaurant was $18. It was wagyu beef though, really good burger.
(1)

Needs , no I didn't see that , but I will definitely see if I can stream it. Thanks,

Yes those where the cubicles I saw, and was standing there thinking, do I call mom ask her the name of my uncles ship or not. Hubby was wandering off, 😂, so I decided, nope my vacation.
(1)

Way,

Have a great birthday celebration with your family!
(1)

Send and cw,

Hahaha, 😝 thanks for the memories! Captain was unique and hilarious!
(1)

Nacy.

Don’t know if you watch CBS Sunday Morning show, but they did a wonderful Memorial Day story on our WW11 museum.

They spoke about the veterans. of course, what they experienced.

The show reported on how our museum is using AI in cubicles to learn more about personal stories of the soldiers.

I hope that you watched it. Maybe you can stream it somewhere. I’m glad that you had a chance to see our museum recently. I tell everyone that it is a must see when visiting New Orleans.
(0)

This is my favourite gem of wisdom passed on to us from Captain's mom

"tonight i had fried chicken livaars. lol. theyre so damn cheap the stores almost pay you to eat em.
my mother taught me two things about combatting inflation. " i ainta payin it, and let em keep it " . shes right. ya let em stick that crap in the dumpster a couple weeks in a row and the price will come down."

The Captain could be charming, until he wasn't. I think a lot of the people who remember him so fondly never encountered him when he was at his worst.
(8)

Here ya go!
Click on "Oldest First".
Here is just one example of the Captain.

Feb 2014
i eat the federally protected sea turtles. they taste like a cross between a bald eagle and a hooping crane.

Feb 2014
cap - you are supposed to be outside cutting wood or bopping old dogs on the head. Believe me you would enjoy those cookies. Turtle soup, maybe?
(2)

Awww, nice have a good time
(2)

Not dinner , but happy that my kids are coming . We are taking DH out for a birthday brunch .
(3)

Lol, I have never heard of the Caption or the poster, so I wasn't sure lol.

When I was a kid, the special Ed teachers name was Mr. Detric . So kids being kids , called all learning disabled Dets. When I went to college and said , what a bunch of Dets, they had no clue what I was referring to. Lol
(1)

Ah, the Captain.................... :)
(4)

Nacy,

Captain was a poster that we had long ago.

I loved his wicked sense of humor and he always crashed the dinner thread with his stories.

Some people loved him, others not so much. He was funny!
(2)

Hahaha, I feel like Captain crashing the dinner thread. I forgot that I was posting in the dinner thread. Sorry y’all.
(1)

Nacy,

You should have tried to look up info on your uncle. If you visit again, you can do it.

I know that you had limited time in our city. I understand. I love doing research on family ancestry. I have discovered all kinds of things.

My uncle moved to the east coast after he married. We made sure to take him to the WW11 museum when he came in for a visit. He lived to be 96.

I am so glad that he saw the museum. It was very meaningful for him to see such an incredible tribute to the men who served in the war.

He started telling so many stories that people in the museum started following him around.

There was one story in particular that I found very interesting and incredibly sad.

Mom’s parents were Catholic, so my uncle, aunt and Mom were raised Catholic.

They were christened at our historical St. Louis Cathedral and attended Catholic schools.

You must have seen our cathedral since you stayed in the quarter.

There was a priest that my uncle grew very close to. My uncle was very active in his parish church. He volunteered on a regular basis.

This priest served as an army chaplain during WW11. He was captured and thrown into a hole in the ground.

The hole wasn’t even big enough for him to stretch his legs out. They threw scraps of food and bits of rice in the hole for him to eat.

They referred to him as ‘holy dog’ because he was a priest and they fed him scraps.

My uncle told the story of the priest’s escape. Someone had discovered him and took him to safety.

The priest hadn’t used his muscles for so long that he couldn’t walk. He was placed into a wheelbarrow and one person would roll him as far as they could. Then others would continue to push him as far as they could go.

When the priest went back home he had no identification. He looked very different.

There were new people in his parish and they didn’t know him. They even doubted that he was really a priest.

They told him to prove his identity by saying a Mass in Latin. It had been so long that he wasn’t sure if he remembered everything.

He managed to remember enough that they were convinced that he was telling the truth.

Oh, what people who experience war go through is something that most of us can’t even imagine.

My nephew went through a divorce with his first wife because she couldn’t handle him being away.

His second wife was able to handle it. It was hard for her but she managed to cope.

Divorce is common. My nephew’s first wife went back to Hawaii and he rarely got to see the children that he had with her because they were so far away.

He had children with his second wife. He loves all of his children and he really misses his kids from the first wife.
(0)

Yeah I really wanted to look him up on there computer, for mom. There was little cubicles, where you could look up people. I stopped myself and said, No this is your vacation, not moms.
(1)

Nacy,

They are always adding artifacts and different exhibits in the museum. I wonder if you could have found documentation about your uncle. That would be so awesome.

Oh yeah, tons of personal stories about Katrina. We evacuated to Houston. It took forever to get there because of so many New Orleanians leaving the city.
(1)

Needs I saw a special on CNN the other day, about Katrina. It was a story about a women who had 6 month old twins and a Marine that helped her. Then she went to Huston , I think, and got flooded again, same Marine was there, now her boys are graduating and becoming Marines.

It was very touching
(1)

Needs, my husband was a paratrooper, Vietnam just ended.

My uncle was in WW11 was a really amazing story, was stranded on a ship for weeks, was declared missing in action. A picture of him and the guys rescued was in the New York post.

I would of liked to look into more at the museum, I didn't feel like it at the time.

Omg your moms doll, that's so sad.
😢

We had a trip planned to DC in April one year, that was the year of shut down in march
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter