Follow

Hey folks, welcome to the new whine/general topic thread. Feel free to use this thread to discuss anything that is on your mind. Caregiving- related stuff, life after a loved one's death, your own emotional wellbeing. Whatever..........anything on your mind.

1 2 3 4 5
I'm building a new tool and looking for feedback from this group. It's a smart assistant (all using text message) to help people with things like caregiving — coordination, emotional support, even understanding a loved one's benefits. I'm eager to get some early feedback and hear more about what would be most useful. This tool is powered by cutting-edge AI and we can build it to things like coordinate health benefits (eg respite care + covered transportation), support collecting symptom data for when you visit the provider, and more.

To signup and share feedback visit https://www.textclara.com. Thanks in advance for the feedback and ideas!
(0)

Lol, no I do all that stuff on my phone, his phone is always on the table and I check it every now and again, to see if anything or any one important called.
(1)

Nacy,

Most of us would be totally lost without our phones.

I am going to assume that he doesn’t use Apple Pay or anything like that either, since he doesn’t carry a phone around.

Our lives are on our phones. If we lose our phones, we are screwed!
(0)

"We don't even know peoples phone numbers anymore"

What's even worse we can't even look them up any more, unlike landlines there is no publicly available registry for cell phone numbers.
(4)

Like in most relationships, we blend together and handle different things. He fix's the cars, mows ex...

I was the leader of the vacation.

I know, he refuses to be attached to his phone like the rest of the world is.

We forget how dependant we are of are phone We don't even know peoples phone numbers anymore.
(0)

Nacy,

Oh gosh, he was a prime target if he had strayed off into a sketchy area. Glad that he was able to find his bearings.

I have accompanied my husband on business trips, if he is going somewhere that I want to go. I never sit in the hotel room when he is working. I will venture out on my own to see the city.

It is easy to get lost if you’re not familiar with an area. Nowadays, we can navigate our surroundings using our cell phones.

I remember as kids, sometimes we would beg our mom to drive because she had a better sense of direction than dad. Plus, she didn’t have any issues with asking for directions like my dad did.
(0)

Needs it was just a lot of dumb mistakes. Every building looks similar, when your not use to the area. I think he passed the hotel a few times and just thought it was a store. And the French names of the roads didn't help

After we got use to the area it was like omg how dumb, we were right across from the Mississippi.

After like I said we didn't leave each others side. Got off the plane, and he was desperately looking for a bathroom. I'm looking at my phone for where we go next, and watching his feet, looked up and saw urinals, lol fowelled a bit to close 😁
(1)

Alva,

Getting separated from others in a store can lead to funny conversations!

I am usually the one who makes detours to look at something that catches my eye and my husband doesn’t know where I am.

He automatically calls my cell to find me.

I have been in the store and my husband made a last minute detour.

Thinking that I am speaking to my husband, I have asked a total stranger, “Honey, what do you think of this? Do you like it?” This poor man looked at me and said, “If you like that, then you should buy it.” LOL 😝

Suddenly, I realized that his voice didn’t sound anything like my husband and I looked up and explained to him that I thought that he was my husband.
(2)

I had to remind the older generation several times that they had their chance to name their kids and raise them as they wished. And now it is our turn.
(2)

Nacy,

You could have emailed me if you wanted to.

Wow, sorry to hear that your husband took such a long walk!

Where did he end up going? There are definitely sketchy areas of our city that you shouldn’t be strolling around in by yourself.

Glad that he returned to the hotel safely.

Nacy,

Yep! Even if I didn’t like a name I would keep it to myself. It’s their baby, not mine.
(0)

Yeah needs I think people should keep there opion to themselves when it comes to the babys name.

Daisy is a sweet name!

I've noticed, someone will tell me there babies name, and I'm in my head thinking 🤔 , but then as the baby gets older you can't imagine them with anything different, and it just fits them. So they should just keep there opion to themselves
(1)

Ana,

My daughter’s friend is a bit upset that her mom and mother in law don’t like the name that she chose for her baby. She’s using her grandmother’s name as the middle name.

The names that her mom and mother in law likes don’t suit her at all. I am hoping that she will follow her heart and will use the name that she loves for her child.

Some people don’t like a name because it holds bad memories for them. This isn’t the case here. Her mom and mother in law simply hate the name Daisy.

I feel like her family can hate the name all they want, but they shouldn’t tell her not to use a name that she loves.

Funny story about how I was named. Mom named me. My dad loved a certain name, but when mom found out the name belonged to a former girlfriend of his, she said, “No, that’s not happening!”

LOL 😆 Daddy just liked the name. Mom knew that he didn’t have feelings for this woman, but it still rubbed her the last way.
(0)

I’d like to comment with reference to Need’s post about the MIL and mother hating Need’s daughter’s pregnant friend’s choice of name.

In-laws not happy with our #1’s name. Tough bananas. Both my mother and MIL use their middle names, as both hate their first names. Our #2 is a girl, so we called her my mother’s middle name followed by MIL’s middle name. They sound lovely together - she’s had compliments. Extended family gushed about the tribute. M and MIL not amused. Both are old-fashioned names but neither odd nor harsh. Our daughter knows the story, loves her name and especially loves how we poked both bears.
(1)

Thanks Alva, it's definitely one to remember.

I wouldn't let him leave my side the rest of vacation. I even accidentally walked into the men's room with him , until I realized where I was.
(2)

Nacy is hubby like my SIL, won't carry a phone.
Without a phone N. and I can't even find one another in the STORE anymore, and Costco would be a dangerous trek indeed. To say nothing of travel.

What a story!
(0)

So I got a story ,

As some know last week me and my husband went to New Orleans. We are not seasoned travelers by any means. My first time on a plane

We were both a little stressed. Me pretending I wasn't and my husband continues questions about where to go in the airport ECT... The blind leading the blind

The taxi dropped us off at the hotel, amazing beautiful place. We walked to bourbon St, had lunch , me a none drinker , decided to celebrate with a hurricane.

Because of that and the heat , we decided to go back to hotel. Husband said he was going to take a small walk. While he was out walking he got lost. Sence I handle this part of the trip he didn't remember the name of the hotel or the road name, and I had his cell phone.

He walked for 3 hours , while I was in the hotel thinking he was dead. Couldn't ask anyone because he new nothing about the hotel or road. Needs, gave me her email, I'm like omg I can't email her , this crazy lady thinking her husband's dead , 3 hours after they get to my city.

Finally I got my self pulled together, got to the elevator it opened and he was in it. Never been so scared and he was upset.

The hotel looked just like a store front.

Anyways it is going to be a story that will make the trip more remaremarabl. We haven't really told anyone, or talked about it much till today, because we just wanted to forget are stupidity. 😂
(2)

pamz -glad it went so well. Such a happy time expecting a little one.

river - hope all goes well for you and yours too,
(2)

Pam,

Sounds like the shower was fun!

My daughter’s friend was visiting with us last week. She is expecting her first child.

She started telling me about the name that she selected for her baby. I told her that I thought it was a cute name.

She said that she wished her mom liked the name. Her mother and mother in law told her that they hated the name and not to choose that name. I felt awful for my daughter’s friend.

It’s not a bizarre or weird name. In fact, it’s a sweet name, ‘Daisy.’ She has always loved the name Daisy.

I told her that it’s her child and she should name her whatever she wants to.

I can see why some expecting moms don’t share names with others. I can’t imagine telling my daughters that I don’t like a name that they selected.
(3)

I think it would be amazing to see the lights, but if it isn’t your thing, then it isn’t your thing.
(0)

I spent most of my Mothers day helping DD sort, detag and wash 3 loads of baby clothes.Luckily she got all sorts of sizes from NB to 12 mo, so she's good for awhile. She got so much stuff it;s unbelievable! All the big stuff is handled, and the rec room in her TH is pretty full of boxes her partner will have to hustle upstairs to the nursury. We got the crib all dressed and its so cute. And I am very tired... But the shower was great, and the girls did all the set up and 90% of the clean up,, just some furniture moving and vacuuming left for me to finish tomorrow.
(6)

Wonderful if you can see them.

No going out here. Dreadful (10+) air quality here due to smoke from BC wildfires. Visibility is much reduced.
(2)

My son was out fishing at midnight for the opener and took pics of stunning aurora borialis over Lake Minnetonka: undulating sheets of purple green yellow pink. He's out again tonight and will text me if he sees him and I'm gonna run out there in my PJs like a nut. He said last night the moon was very bright and he could see shooting stars behind the lights. Hope I get to see them!
(4)

Lol Gershun!
I just sent dH out, I stayed inside.

You have your own special interests, that does not make you apathetic, imo.

Cwillie,
You have so many friends here willing to sit with you.
However, virtually.
Besides, sitting on the side of the road these days is dangerous, even if there are two or three.
The photos are so much better seeing them after the fact online.

It is all just proof that you can get excited about many things, but you can also choose not to get excited. There is no right or wrong, no judgement.

(aw, dH is critical of me. He says: "No right or wrong???").
I will not be drawn into a disagreement with someone I know to be wrong.
(4)

I must be very apathetic cause I didn't even bother to go outside to see if I could see anything in the sky. My hubs was driving home from his job at 1:30am. last night and said there was so much traffic cause so many were parked on the side of the road trying to see something and take pics. Meanwhile I yawned, turned over and went back to sleep. :P
(3)

If I had such a friend Send....
(2)

My dH often needs something to do (healthy like going outside after sitting at the computer all day).
In our area, there were no lights in the sky expected, but I sent him out with his cell phone. Reports were that what could not be seen with the naked eye, could be seen with a cell phone camera. I looked up how to get the best photo of the lights. He took just one amazing photo! Nothing showing of the lights.

I sent him out again to get a photo of our home because it was so bright outside, or was it the long exposure he used? Very cool, as one of his interests is photography. I enjoyed seeing the photo!

So, we've been very busy here last night, sharing the rare occurrence.

Ya know, Cwilllie, you can go out with a friend to watch the night sky tonight.

I should go outside too. Maybe I will.
(3)

People from near me are posting amazing pics of the northern lights last night, lots of pinks and purples!!.... I'm sad I live in town and wasn't able to see anything. I was just too tired to go driving to sit on the side of the road on the off chance there'd be something worthwhile to see (sigh).
(4)

Things have certainly changed and will most likely continue to change. Trends seem to be cyclical.
(1)

Beatty, your post made me feel a bit guilty. But the whole thing was not 'done' when I was growing up or when my daughters were babies. The general rule was no parties until the babe was three, and then the same number of 'guests' as the age of the 'host' baby. Things change!
(1)

We have done Disney, not Kennedy Space Center or Universal.

My youngest daughter has done Universal with a friend and loved it!

I would love doing Kennedy Space Center and Universal.

Our oldest daughter visited the space center in Houston on a special school trip for honor students. She came home devastated.

Space travel is an exciting adventure when all goes well. When an explosion occurs and death occurs it is truly tragic.

It will be fun for you to go back to Disney and see the other attractions in that area of Florida.

The rides are fun in Disney!
(0)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter